Can We Buy Part of an Annual Pass?

Can We Buy Part of an Annual Pass?

by Kathleen
(Clermont FLorida)

Our family has annual passes to Disney World, Our youngest child just turned 3 and didn’t need his own pass until now. We have 6 months remaining on our passes and are unsure if we are going to renew them. My question is, when purchasing a pass for him, are we able to just get a pass for him to cover the rest of our year, or will we have to purchase a 1 year pass just for him?

Get your Annual Pass at ...

The ticket counter at Disney Hollywood Studios early in the morning

Photo by Scott Smith

Dad’s A Lot of Options Answer

Kathleen, it’s so nice to hear from an annual pass holder – it’s not often I get a question like this but it’s a great one to discuss! The short answer is that you cannot buy a partial annual pass to “cover” your son until the rest of your family’s passes expire. But the good news is that you have a lot of ticket options, especially as a Florida resident!

Your first step is to figure out if it’s “worth” it to get your son a full-blown annual pass (even if you’re unsure about renewing yours). The entirely depends on how many trips you plan to take between now and the expiration date on your other passes. If you plan to visit 10 or more times, then getting a Child’s Annual Pass for $469 will likely be your cheapest option.

Dad’s Disney World Annual Passes Page

Dad, what do you mean that an annual pass will “likely” be our cheapest option? Well I’m glad you asked! There is another ticket option that might work better for your family and comes with a much lower price tag. It’s called the Florida Resident Seasonal Pass, and a child’s pass only costs $248. It works just like an annual pass (go as often as you like) but it has blackout dates (if you buy now, that includes April 16 - April 28, 2011, June 11 - August 18, 2011 and December 18 2011 - January 2, 2012).

If neither of these options make sense for your family, take the time to sit down and determine how many visits you plan to make in the next 6 months. If you are looking at only a few days, you can get a special Florida Resident Promotional Ticket package – it’s called Wild for 4 and a child’s pass will cost $129 and grant your son admission for 4 days between now and May 24, 2012 (blockout dates apply, click here for details). A 3 day version is also available for $99.

If none of the above work for you, don’t worry – you’ll still be able to look at the options available to us non-Florida residents. There is of course the single ticket option at $71.10 per day for a child, but you can also look at the possibility of a 3-7 day Magic Your Way ticket with a No Expiration option. This will run you about $54 per day for your son, but it’s the cheapest way to pick and choose your dates, and if you have extra days left over when your passes expire, your son will be able to use it at any time in the future!

Dad’s Bottom Line

Kathleen, you have a lot of options available to you, I’m sure you’ll be able to find one that suits your needs and budget!

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask Dad.