Disney Hollywood Studios
When Michael Eisner dedicated Disney Hollywood Studios or as it was known at that time, Disney-MGM Studios, he declared "Welcome to the Hollywood that never was and always will be." Over the years, the park has morphed away from the working studio idea to a theme park full of the best attractions Walt Disney World has to offer.
The Studios (as it was called at one time) no longer creates movies which is a shame. It was fun to watch the animators work. However, the rides here are as good as it gets anywhere.
Photo by Mike Billick
NOTE:The park is undergoing major renovations at this time. A lot of attractions have been closed.
Hollywood Boulevard/Echo Lake- The Introduction
Welcome to Hollywood, or an unreasonable facsimile thereof. This is the main entrance area of MGM Studios. There are lots of shops here to slow your progress into the park or to get that last dollar out of your wallet as you leave. During the day, "movie stars" appear and are "filmed" making their big debut.
Photo by Samantha Decker
Echo Lake, the small pool of water at the end of Hollywood Boulevard is the home of some of the biggest attractions Disney World has to offer, including the newest and most hip.
- The Great Movie Ride - ride through scenes of timeless, classic movies in this 22-minute tour of movie history.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular - A live show full of thrilling stunts based on the Indiana Jones movie series.
- Star Tours - Take a ride to Endor on Star Tours, an inter-galactic journey you won't soon forget.
This is a great way to start and end any day at a theme park.
Streets of America - See how movies are made
|Photo by Samantha Decker|
The Streets of America at Disney Hollywood Studios is the area where you learn how movies are made. The Backlot tour takes you into Castrophe Canyon where you can see how large scale stunts are created it also takes you to the backlot storage area of The MGM Studios.
- Muppet-Vision 3-D - A hilarious 3-D experience starring Kermit and friends. Even the old guys from the balcony get in the act.
- Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show - See how car chases are filmed. It's a blockbuster show that's full of big time action.
You too can be part of the movies.
Animation Courtyard - The making of Cartoons
There is some good stuff and some really boring stuff in Animation Courtyard. This is where animated features use to be made, but now, alas, there is only a walk-through area with videos that talk about the process. You can see the a short portion of one of Disney's latest features.
- Walt Disney: One Man's Dream - A walking tour of images and items from Uncle Walt's life. A history buffs dream.
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid - A live, musical presentation of scenes taken from the movie.
The tribute to Uncle Walt is amazing.
Pixar Place - Pixar and Disney... Match made in heaven
A few years ago, Pixar and Disney teamed up on a couple a little film called Toy Story. It wasn't very successful (yeah, right). It only became one of the biggest blockbusters ever. Now Disney and Pixar have done it again. They've teamed up on a Toy Story ride at Disney Hollywood Studios called Toy Story Midway Mania. It's quickly become the longest line at MGM Studios, and that's saying something.
- Toy Story Mania! - Join the Toy Story gang in a mid-way style arcade adventure.
More Pixar and Disney collaborations are coming soon.
Sunset Boulevard is the blockbuster area of Disney Hollywood Studios. There's only 3 attractions and one show down this not so sleepy lane, but they are the parks biggest, loudest, and busiest. The first attraction on Sunset Boulevard is Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage. Then come the biggies, The Hollywood Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. WOW. It doesn't get any better than this.
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith
Photo by - Express Monorail
- Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage - A live production taken from the Broadway musical.
- The Twlight Zone Tower of Terror - Journey into a world, a world of time and space, a world where the bottom drops out, over and over.
- Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - Starring Aerosmith - Join Aerosmith on the most hair-raising limo ride you'll ever take.
Also on Sunset Boulevard is Fantasmic, which is the closing show for the park complete with fireworks and dancing water. This is a must see show. Check it out.
Dining in Disney Hollywood Studios can be problematic. There are some good and some not so good restaurants here.
- Hollywood Brown Derby - the original home to the Cobb Salad right off Hollywood Boulevard
- Toy Story Pizza Planet - Based on the pizza arcade in the movie Toy Story
- Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano - grab some Italian food just like on Rodeo Dr.
- 50's Prime Time Cafe - Enjoy some of Mom's cookin' in a kitchen from the 50's
- Sci Fi Dine In - Watch scary Sci Fi movies while you eat.
- ABC Commissary - Dine with a great air conditioner.
- Studio Catering Company - Quick service in the back of the Studios.
- Starring Rolls Cafe - Quick but tasty breakfast or lunch
The daily entertainment schedule at Disney Hollywood Studios is as good as it gets. Here's a list of the daily (or sometimes several times a week) activities at MGM Studios -
- Fantasmic! - Fantasmic! is a spectacular voyage into the dark world of Disney villains as they battle Sorcerer Mickey. It's
Disney puts on Special Events all year, and the event that dominates the Studios in May and June is Star Wars Weekends. In May and June on Fridays through Sundays, everyone dresses up in their Star Wars Costumes and has a big party.
Hurray for Hollywood
MGM Studios was on the drawing board for several years before Universal Studios announced they were going to build a theme park in Orlando. This get Disney moving and the new movie park was born.
Having a plan for touring the park is the only way to go. If you want to have a Perfect day at the Studios, you need to know how to avoid the crowds. At Touringplans.com, they provide several touring plans to help you navigate your way around the park with the least hassle. They also have an app for your phone that will show you the wait times on all the rides. Check it out today.
Get started on your trip today
How about a trip to see Disney Hollywood Studios in person? Doesn't that sound fun. Here's what you can do. Go over to Dad's partners at Destinations to Travel and let them get your Perfect Vacation started today. What are you waiting for?
Dad's Bottom Line
A lot of people over the years have complained that the Disney Studios or Disney-MGM Studios, or Disney Hollywood Studios, or whatever, was a work that was thrown together to compete with Universal and that the park needed more attractions. I think Disney finally got the word. With the openings of American Idol and Toy Story Mania, Disney Hollywood Studios has become a complete and "fabulous darling" vacation experience.