Epcot Flower and Garden Show
Spring in Florida, ah, there's nothing better. At Disney World spring means the Epcot Flower and Garden show comes to town. Or, if you want to be technical, The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival comes to Walt Disney World.
Disney has some of the most interesting flora and fauna on the planet. Disney gardeners can take a normal everyday bush and turn it into a work of art. But in the spring Epcot flowers really come to life. Add in HGTV, some great music and you have the makings of a really great show.
Epcot Flower and Garden Show
Again the 2013 festival will be sponsored by HGTV (Home and Garden Televison). What does that mean? It means that HGTV celebrities come and speak. This years list -
- Chris Lambton - March 8 – 10
- Chris Gundy - March 15 – 17
- Egypt Sherrod - March 22 – 24
- Brandon Johnson - March 29 – 31
- Meg Caswell - presenting April 5 – 7
- Jason Cameron - presenting April 12 – 14
- Sara Peterson - April 19 – 21
- Carter Oosterhouse - April 26 – 28
- Casey Noble - May 3 – 5
- Dan Faires - May 10 – 12
- David Bromstad - May 17 – 19
The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival starts around the first of March each year and lasts until the middle of May. In 2013 the dates are March 6 to May 19.
Mater at the Flower and Garden Show
All during the show, there are special tours, lectures, tips, pointers and behind the scenes looks at how gardening works. Most of the shows happen on the weekends and tours are available from select days during the week.
Flower Power Concert Series
Every weekend during the show, a different musical group comes to the American Gardens Theater and brings back memories of happier times ... or at least memories of long ago. Here is a list of the performers and dates for 2013 -
- March 6-10 Mickey Dolenz
- March 15 - 17 Chubby Checkers and the Wildcats
- March 22 - 24 The Guess Who
- March 29 - 31 - Nelson
- April 5 - 7 – The Turtles featuring Flo & Eddie
- April 12 - 14 - Paul Revere and the Raiders
- April 19 - 21 – Village People
- April 26 - 28- The Orchestra starring former members of ELO
- May 3 -5 – Tommy Roe
- May 10 to 12 - Herman's Hermits starring Peter Noone
- May 17 - 19 – Starship starring Mickey Thomas
These old rockers still know how to put on a show.
There are 3 shows each night at 5:15, 6:30 and 7:45.
This year (2013) Disney added food booths (like the Food and Wine Festival) to the Flower and Garden show. Here's the list -
- Florida Fresh - here guests can taste some of the best flavors Florida has to offer. This booth is located next to Mexico in World Showcase
- Fruits by the Glass - World Showcase features alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages made out of fruit
- The Smokehouse: Barbque and Brews - located in the American Adventure, guests can taste the best BBQ outside of Texas
- Pineapple Promenade - Dad's favorite Dole Whips are served here next to the Canada pavilion
- Lotus Houes - Ever wonder what it is like to eat your way around China? Find out here
- L’Orangerie- Located in the France pavilion, this booth brings some of the greatest favors of France
- Bauernmarkt: Farmer’s Market - German foods rule at this booth
- Primavera Kitchen - Here guests can enjoy the freshest taste of Italy
- Hanami - the Japan pavilion offers great bites from the sea and land
- Jardin de Fiestas - Mexican Tapas are out of this world
- Taste of Marrakesh - sample Morrocan food and drinks here
- The Cottage: Savories, Trifles and Tea - Located in the England pavilion this booth brings the taste of Englad to guests
If the food here is anything like the Food and Wine Festival, oh, boy did Disneyhit another home run.
March, April and May are big crowd months at Disney World. Dad's Disney World crowds page will give you all the information you need to avoid the throngs.
Dad's Bottom Line
If you visit Epcot in the spring, you won't be able to miss the Flower and Garden Show. While you don't have to listen to the speeches, you might learn something. PS. The music is really, really good.