Epcot Flower and Garden Festival
Spring in Florida, ah, there's nothing better. At Disney World spring means the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival comes to town. Or, if you want to be technical, The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival comes to Walt Disney World.
Take a Monorail ride over the floating gardens. Photo by Matthew Cooper
Disney has some of the most interesting flora and fauna on the planet. Disney gardeners can take a normal everyday bush and turn it into a work of art. But in the spring Epcot flowers really come to life.
The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival isn't just about pretty flowers (but there are lots of those). You'll learn about growing, planting, and eating sustainable flowers, herbs, fruits and veggies, explore interative play areas and educational exhibits, eat fresh food and enjoy some music that Dad really likes.
The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival starts around the first of March each year and lasts until late in May. In 2016 the dates are March 2 to May 30.
Aren't the flowers beautiful? Photo by Matthew Cooper
Garden Rocks Concert Series
Every weekend during the show, a different musical group comes to the American Gardens Theater and brings back memories of happier times ... or at least memories of long ago.
In 2016 the Flower and Garden Festival Concert Series gets a new name. It's now called the Garden Rocks Concert Series (formerly Flower Power).
Here is a list of the performers and dates for 2016 -
- March 4-6: The Orchestra starring former members of ELO
- March 11-13: STARSHIP featuring Mickey Thomas
- March 18-20: Little River Band
- March 25-27: Village People
- April 1-3: Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone
- April 8-10: The Guess Who
- April 15-17: Blood, Sweat and Tears starring Bo Bice
- April 22-24: Bad Company starring Brian Howe
- April 29-May 1: Georgia Satelites
- May 6-10: Gin Blossoms
- May 13-15: Darlene Love
- May 20-22: Night Ranger
- May 27-30: The Spinners
These old rockers still know how to put on a show.
There are 3 shows each night at 5:30, 6:45 and 8:00.
In 2013, Disney added food booths (like the Food and Wine Festival) to the Flower and Garden Fesitval. Here's the list of some of the booths in 2016 -
- Bauernmarkt: Farmer’s Market - find this spot near Germany to try some Bavarian food and drinks.
- Cider House - stop by this booth near the uK to try cider and farm-grown menu items.
- Fleur de Lys - step into France for macarons and Parisien cuisine.
- Florida Fresh - celebrate local ingredients in this area between France and Morocco.
- Hanami - find favorites like Frushi at this booth in Japan.
- La Isla Fresca - Caribbean flavors find their home at Showcase Plaza.
- Jardin de Fiestas - Mexican tapas and sips.
- Lotus House - head to China for bubble tea and centemporty Chinese food.
- Pineapple Promenade - Dole Whips and a pineapple hot dog? Hmmm...
- Primavera Kitchen - Spring vegetables hold a place on the menu at this booth in Italy.
- Taste of Marrakesh - sample Morrocan spiced food and drinks.
- THE SMOKEHOUSE: Barbecue and Brews - Located in the American Adventure you'll find sliders, ribs, and more.
- Urban Farm Eats - this booth is all about healthy, natural, stylish food.
The food here is a lot like a lighter version of the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival, - boy did Disney hit another home run.
March, April and May are big crowd months at Disney World. Dad's Disney World crowds page will give you all the information you need to avoid the throngs.
The topiaries are incredible. Photo by Matthew Cooper
Make your plan today
Would you like to see the Flower and Garden Festival for yourself? Good idea. Go over and let Dad's partners at Destinations to Travel a ring and let them help you get started.
Dad's Bottom Line
If you visit Epcot in the spring, you won't be able to miss the Flower and Garden Show. While you don't have to listen to the presentations at the Festival Center, you might learn something. And there's over 70 topiary displays that have even Dad saying "Wow!"
PS. The music is really, really good.