Holidays Around the World
Holidays around the World at Epcot is the home to the stories of Christmas from all over the globe. During Christmas at Disney World, most of the countries in the World Showcase have a story teller that tells the story of Christmas in their homes.
This is really cool. You can hear and see how Christmas is celebrated in different cultures. The stories are amazing.
Father Christmas - Holidays around the World
Photo by Don Sullivan
Christmas from Around the World
All 11 countries have a representation of the holidays in their countries. Some of the stories are downright funny. I'm not going to spoil all the fun and tell you what each says, but here is an overview.
- Mexico - Three Kings tell of the journey to find the baby Jesus
- Norway - Julenissen, a gnome (and no he doesn't arrive in a gnome mobile), tells funny tales
- China - The Monkey King tells a whimsical tale
- Germany - either St. Nicholas or Helga talks about the great holiday traditions
- Italy - La Benafa talks about how Italy celebrates the Epiphany
- America - Santa and Mrs. Claus, or Hannukah or Kwanzaa are presented in Santa's Workshop
- Morocco - Taarji shares the story of Ramadan
- Japan - Daruma Doll seller talks of celebrating the New Year
- France - Pere Noel reads a letter from a little girl
- United Kingdom - Father Christmas talks about the traditions in the U. K. and many in America
- Canada - Papa Noel talks about holiday traditions in Canada
When to go
The performances happen several times during the day. The stories are timed where if you get to Mexico for the first telling of the Three Kings, you can probably, with a little hurry, hear all of the different stories in one day. But, if you do that, you won't have much time to spend looking around the pavillions and experiencing the beauty of the World Showcase.
So, go to the showings that most appeal to you and come back some other time. (You can get the show times in advance on the Epcot maps available in the resorts.)
Dad's Bottom Line
Part of any vacation to Disney World comes with learning other cultures. Seeing the Holiday storytellers is a great way to get a peek into what goes on around the world and it's what the World Showcase is all about.