Dad is not enamored with the Disney Moderate Resorts. There, I said it. Thought I better get that out of the way right up front. No, there’s nothing really wrong with these hotels, I just think, in my not so humble opinion that you have better options.
But Dad, I thought the first Disney Hotel you ever booked was the Caribbean Beach Resort, isn’t that true?
Yes it is, but I’ve never talked about that here, is Mrs. Mom telling on me again? Yes, we booked the Caribbean Beach Resort for our first family trip to Disney World but we didn’t end up staying there. We ended up in the Polynesian Resort and we were thrilled. We did stay in the Caribbean Beach Resort several years later and that is probably what has clouded my opinion. (It rained for 3 straight days.)
There are 3 (or 4 or even 5 depending on how you count) Moderate Resorts
- Caribbean Beach Resort
- Port Orleans – (2 resorts in 1) Riverside and French Quarter
- Coronado Springs Resort
- The Fort Wilderness Campground is lumped in with the Moderate Resort, but has a totally separate price structure and totally different room structure (because some of the “accommodations” don’t even have walls.
Let’s talk about the pros and cons for these hotels.
- Beautiful Hotels – each of the hotels (and even the campgrounds) are beautiful.
- Cost – compared to the Deluxe Resorts these hotels are cheaper and the campgrounds have some really cheap prices if you’re willing to sleep in a tent (that you bring along).
- Beds – the moderate resorts are all being refurbished with queen beds which minimizes one of Dad’s main arguments against them.
- Food courts and full service restaurants – having the choice of eating at a full service restaurant or a food court (Dad prefers food courts) is only found in the moderate resorts. It’s a good option.
- Transportation – these resorts are huge. It is over a mile from the main building to some of the outer buildings at Coronado Springs. Transportation is a problem at all the moderate resorts. There are multiple bus stops at each hotel. It can take 30 minutes just to get out of the parking lot.
- Price – prices for Disney Hotels are getting to be a bit ridiculous and the moderates are the worst of the bunch. These hotels start at over $160 per night for a hotel with doors that open to the outside (not to a hall).
- Location – these resorts aren’t close to anything. You have to have some form of transportation (Dad recommends a car at Disney World) to get to the parks, water parks or anywhere else.
The Disney Moderate Resorts are beautiful hotels that are overpriced. Dad prefers the Value Resorts (2 rooms) for most families over one moderate. It ends up to be about the same price and you get almost twice the room (and 2 bathrooms).
Dad’s Bottom Line
The cons outweigh the pros in Dad’s mind. Yes, the hotels are nice and don’t get me wrong if you love one of these hotels, good for you. Thousands of people each year love these hotels. They just aren’t Dad’s cup of tea.