How to save on food for a family of 7 at Disney World?
"I have a family of 7 going to Disney! How can we save on food?? Thank you!"
Make a PLAN
You can find all kinds of food at WDW even some "other worldy) - Photo by Brett Svenson
YOU'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!
Saving on food is a great goal and a very easy one to accomplish at times and hard at others.
The first thing I will say about saving money on any Disney vacation, but especially on food is to do your homework and have a PLAN before you go.
Yes, have a PLAN to save money on food.
A Disney World vacation is all about tradeoffs and knowing what tradeoffs and talking about them before you arrive will make you much more likely to accomplish saving money than if you arrive with no idea how.
So you are taking the first step.
So many ways
Let's look at some of the ways to save money on food at Walt Disney World.
A lot of these depend on your eating habits, where you are staying, etc. But here's a list of some of the ways to save money on food.
- Share meals - One good thing about the meals at WDW is the portions are pretty big. A lot of people save money by sharing meals or at least entrees. For example the "personal pizza meals" come with a pizza and a salad. I'm a big eater and I can eat about half of the pizza. It's enough for 2. Lots of restaurants are like that.
- Ask for water - Drink costs add up. Most the restaurants will give you water for free (be sure to ask for a cup).
- The Disney Dining Plan (DDP) - This one you have to be very careful with. A lot of people will insist you use the Disney Dining Plan. It can save money, but for most people it doesn't. Do the math. We have a calculator to help. Do an honest assessment of where you plan to eat and compare the prices to the DDP. If it saves you money, great. If not, don't.
- Eat offsite - this isn't practical for everyone but if you have transportation go off Disney property to eat. It's a whole lot cheaper.
- Make a budget for snacks and stick to it - It's really easy to start spending money on all the great snacks and end up going crazy. There are a bunch of crazy good looking snacks everywhere you turn. They are pretty yummy too, but they can bust a budget in a hurry. Make a budget and stick to it. (But do plan some money for snacks every day. Splurge a bit.)
- Avoid Epcot during the Festivals - The Festival of the Arts, the Flower and Garden Festival, the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot are all incredibly fun, but the food booths will draw you in and have you spending money like there's no tomorrow. Trust me. Been there done that. I love going to the festivals and grazing at the booths, but it's not a way to save money on food at WDW.
I'm sure there are a lot more. But that will get you started.
In fact, I wrote a little ebook a while ago with over 101 ways to save money at WDW.Check out Dad's Quick Savings Guide to WDW
, go ahead and download it. It's free.
Dad's Bottom Line
Dawn, I'm glad you're looking at ways to save money on your Disney vacation. The Savings Guide will help a lot.
Have a great trip.
PS if you know any ways to save money on food at Disney World put it down in the comments below.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask Dad.