It’s a Small World is one of Uncle Walt’s most annoying creations. Yes I said annoying. Let me show you what I mean. (All together now…)
It’s a world of laughter, a world or tears
Its a world of hopes, its a world of fear
There’s so much that we share
That its time we’re aware
It’s a small world after all
See how long that sticks in your head. (Yep, Dad has a mean streak.)
“The happiest cruise that ever sailed the seven seas” is the official slogan of this ride. I don’t know about the seven seas …
It’s a colorful world
Photo by Disney Photo Snapper
The waiting area for this ride is a ramp that descends into the loading area. You get to watch the people loading into the boats and getting out of the boats.
The ride at Disney World opened October 1, 1971 with the rest of the Magic Kingdom. It’s based on the attraction that originally debuted as the Pepsi Pavilion at the World’s Fair in 1964.
- There are 472 figures, 289 animated dolls, 147 toys and 36 props (from Wikipedia)
- It takes 500,000 gallons of water to fill the “river”
- The original attraction in Disney World was completed in 9 months.
Dad’s Ride Information Table
It’s a Small World
|Description: Ride a slow boat and see children of the world|
|Height Requirement – none||Fastpass:no||Length of Ride: 13:30 minutes|
|Type of ride: Boat ride|
Other Information: – *You’ll never get that song out of your mind.
Video of the Ride
Check this out. Here’s a cool video of the 50th birthday of It’s a Small World along with some video from the ride.
Video by BigFatPanda
- The song was originally written as a slow ballad. When Uncle Walt heard it he said he needed something peppier. So the tempo was speeded up, and the rest is history.
- 5 different languages are in the song.
- Over 100 countries are represented in the ride.
- Wheelchairs are loaded onto the boats.
- Fastpass is not available for this ride.
The Crowds in line at It’s a Small World
Photo by Express Monorail
The Crowd Factor
Crowds aren’t a big factor at this ride because it loads pretty fast and has a big wide ramp leading down to the docks. But you always want to have a good plan when you go to the Magic Kingdom. Touringplans.com is the source Dad turns to when he’s making his plan to tackle the park.
Dad’s Bottom Line
Unfortunately the ride has become almost a universal joke. Everyone likes to poke fun at the song and at the hokey message of World unity. However, it’s still one of the Magic Kingdom’s busiest rides. Uncle Walt truly created a timeless masterpiece.