We are booked to come to Disney in 2 weeks. My elderly dad is in the ICU & is not doing well. I think we should cancel but my husband thinks we should still go for the kids & because everything is non refundable. I don’t know what to do.
Dad’s I don’t know quite what to say Answer
Wow, this one is tough. What a tough decision you face. I won’t pretend to know the difficulties you are dealing with, and I’m not going to tell you what to do. This is one of those tough life choices we all have to make.
No, I’m not copping out on this one either. I will give you some advice and options, but you have to make your own decisions with your family.
First I want to say that this is why I always recommend Travel Insurance anytime you are going on a vacation that includes non-refundable items. I know all the arguments, but I do know that lots of people end up like you and lose money or go on a trip when they should really stay home.
That doesn’t help your situation, but maybe it will help someone down the road.
Now for your problem.
First, YOU need to check ALL of your arrangements. You might be able to just reschedule your trip to a later date. I know that Disney packages are at least partially refundable up until right before you leave.
Depending on your airline, you might just be able to delay your departure date or apply your tickets to a later date. You might not, but you need to check that out.
Everything else should be easy to cancel. Be sure you don’t forget to cancel your dining reservations.
The other alternative is to go on the trip. It will be hard for you. Hopefully your Dad will improve in the next couple of weeks. I don’t really think this is a good option if your Dad is really sick.
This is one of the situations where I’m really proud that we have found Destinations to Travel. Now before you start tuning out, listen for a minute. Situations like these are why you should use a GOOD Travel Agent. Your situation is exactly what a GOOD Travel Agent is set up to handle.
If you had booked with Destinations to Travel, they would be on the phone right now trying to get your trip worked out. My guess is by the time they were through, you’d be all set up to go later this year or at least have a credit to go at a later date. That’s what a GOOD Travel Agent would do.
Dad’s Bottom Line
Joanna, I’m very sorry your Dad is sick. We pray that he will recover and that things will be OK. I hope you can work out your trip and reschedule. I’m not a fan of you going during this time, but you and your family have to make that decision together.