Welcome back. Glad you stopped by again. Let’s jump right in.
Are you like Dad and Mrs. Mom? We are suffering from withdrawal. Withdrawal from the intense planning we’ve been doing on the Palooza. Yesterday, we identified this malady as the 100 Day Disney World Blah’s. I promised to talk today about how to “get out” of the blahs. I guess we better jump right in.
Pictures of the fireworks always help me – Photo by Wayne Wood
When I first started thinking about how to get out of the 100 Day Disney World Blah’s, my mind immediately jumped (which can be really dangerous) to what part of our planning we spent the most time and energy on, and figuring out what we can do to bring back that energy. (Makes sense.)
The part of Dad and Mrs. Mom’s Disney Palooza 2012 we’ve spent the most energy on so far is our Dining Plan. We spent over a month looking at menus, making a dining schedule, and finally getting our Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR’s). So what can we do to recreate the energy and fun that came from planning our dining for the Palooza?
I got it, let’s cancel all of our ADR’s and start over. Yeah, that will get some energy flowing.
NOW WAIT JUST A DOG GONE MINUTE!!!!!
That may be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard me say. Sometimes things that seem to make sense, when you think about them really don’t. (I told you it could be dangerous.) No, canceling our ADR’s is not a good idea no matter what energy it would bring. OK, maybe another idea might be better.
Seriously, here are some ideas I came up with to combat the 100 day blah’s –
- Try a practice trip. No, I’m serious. Do a practice trip to your local swimming hole or theme park or even a big mall. Make it like a Disney trip. Pack up the backpacks, strollers, cameras, fanny packs just like you would for your Disney World trip. Spend a day walking around the park/mall just like you will on your vacation. If the kids get cranky, find a cool spot to take a break and see how they bounce back. Yes, a practice trip.
- Movie nights – have a family movie night. Lately, on Friday Nights, the Family Channel has been running Disney movies. Great movies like The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and Toy Story. These movies have a direct link to Walt Disney World with rides that come right out of the movie. Why not take advantage of these freebies and have a family night. If you are handy in the kitchen, you might even try making your favorite Disney World snack to share during the movies.
- Arts and crafts – for the little ones – first let me say that Dad is not artsy and it’s been a while since I’ve had a little one. I can’t even draw a straight line with a ruler much less cut and paste things together. (I’m pretty good with computer cutting and pasting though.) There are lots and lots of Disney craft ideas out there that you could turn into fun times for the family. Grab a stack of Disneyish color books next time your at a color book store. (It’s been a long time since Dad had kids that colored.) Be creative. Have some fun.
- Scavenger hunts – for older kids – Pick a ride of the day and go on a hunt for pictures. Like Dad is doing over on the Facebook page, you could go on a scavenger hunt for pictures of rides, restaurants and attractions. Find them on the internet and put them into a presentation. The best presentation wins. (My money is on the kids on this one.) Choose teams. Have some fun with it.
- Read all the issues of WDW Magazine – There is nothing that will get you over the 100 day WDW Blah’s more that reading WDW Magazine. It’s almost like being there. I guarantee you it will work.
Hey, these are just a couple of reasonably cheap for getting over the blahs. It won’t be easy, but it will be worth it. (Unless, of course, you go with the first one and blow up all of your ADR’s. That’s just silly talk.) Spending quality time with the family can’t hurt anything.
For all you Dad’s out there that are rolling your eyes right now ….
Get over it. Jump in and play with the kiddos and Mom. What’s more important than that? I sure can’t think of anything. Learn to have fun with the family. It will pay dividends for a long, long time.
Oh and leave Dad a message below and tell me what’s your favorite way to beat the 100 day blahs?
0 0 New 0
disney world parks